Google's version is gzipped. Prototype 1.6, when gzipped, is only 28K
over the wire. And with Google's content distribution network and
proper cache settings, it'll be downloaded only once. This is what
people should be using if they want a compressed version.

(http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/prototype/1.6.0.3/prototype.js)

If they want a self-hosted "compressed" version, and can't use gzip,
then they should use JDD's "protopacked" distribution.

Cheers,
Andrew