I agree with Jerod about the binding part. Here's the modified list
that I would suggest (probably that was my own learning curve) :

1. Master the $ function
2. Use instance methods to perform common tasks on elements
3. Master event observing
4. Use Enumerable to manage collections
5. Master binding and understand closures
6. Push the envelope with Ajax
7. Treat functions like first-class objects
8. Master the $$ function with event delegation
9. Write class-based JavaScript
10. Managing custom events

The first 4 items would suggest that one has to get familiar with the
"wrapping" property of Prototype over the usual Javascript programming
for cross-platform scripting, and error-less coding. Everything to
acquire good programming habits and use the library methods propertyl.

The next 2 items jumps in the "fun" part (the why people want to learn
Prototype in the first place).

The last 4 items goes more in depth in making the scripts more
maintainable, object-oriented, and structured. One could argue that
making the script more OO and structured should be in the top
priority, but I think that even though I agree, up to these points,
Prototype may well be used on casual personal sites and hobby coding,
and these do not necessarily "need" that kind of structure in their
projects.

Of course, this list could be argued for a long time, but I think that
the general idea is the same.

-yanick