Hey,

is Prototype designed to use a built in JSON stringification mechanism?

The most popular library, json2.js (http://json.org/json2.js), states
pretty clearly that the toJSON method is not supposed to return a
serialized result (which it would turn into a string) but should
rather return something that can be automatically stringified by the
library itself. That might be any kind of value, but besides that it
can be also be instances of Object. Joose.Storage thus returns an
Object that represents the state of the Joose object and which
includes extra info that can be used for reinstantiation. The nice
side effect of this is, that complex structures of nested objects are
no problem because the stringifier will once again call toJSON on the
children (if toJSON would return a string it would have to implement
this itself).

If Prototype does indeed need a more complex toJSON method, we could,
of course, detect that and change our behavior.

Bye
Malte
--
http://code.google.com/p/joose-js/