Actually, both protodoc [1] and Rakefile [2] are patched in this commit.

Protodoc takes an option hash on instantiation, with a
`:strip_documentation` which defaults to `false`.
`rake dist` behavior is unchanged, and `rake doc` uses a temporary
file including PDoc comments to generate documentation.

Maybe `rake dist` could simply generate two files: the original
"prototype.js" and a "prototype-development.js" including PDoc comments.
This would mean that `rake doc` would depend on `rake dist` (therefore
will execute it), which sounds a bit surprising to me.

Any thoughts?

[1]
http://github.com/samleb/prototype/commit/8ae8d326174c1c39386aa1ca712367fc0798abd8#diff-1
[2]