I do something similar to this. However, IE's support of visibility
only works for hidden and visible, not the other two, so it is
questionable depending on browser support how you would handle showv
in your example above. In general, since IE doesn't fully support
visibility I don't use the other two.

The other problem is naming these functions such that they aren't
easily confused with the display:none versions.

Here's my implementation along with some other extras:
http://gist.github.com/166477