Overriding Object#toString should not happen in Prototype.

It's impossible to know what assumptions are made about the behavior
of this [fundamental, core] method by Firebug, jQuery, mooTools, or
the countless 3rd party libraries and applications out there.

The impact to Firebug that J.Higson points out is just one example.

There is also the performance impact to consider.  The native
Object#toString is, I'm sure, blazingly fast.  But replace that with
code that does the recursion and string construction necessary to
create a JSON description, and invoke it at the root of a large data
structure (or a data structure that has circular references?), and
things quickly grind to a halt.  All of a sudden any code that comes
into contact with Prototype needs to be _much_ more careful about
where/when it invokes this method.

- rwk