IMO, this does not belong in core. Firstly, the technology to enable
push resides largely on the server side. Secondly, there is no
standard way to interact with these server side applications, which
suggests these would be better as plugins to support the best comet
implementation for your project.

Allen Madsen
http://www.allenmadsen.com