Firing custom mutation events in every Prototype method that manipulates the
DOM could generate significant overhead in performance. Maybe the
implementation should be designed in a way that only events that have
registered observers are fired. If no observes are created, no custom events
are ever fired.

Question is, will this see much usage? I've only used DOM mutation events in
users scripts; i.e. when I wasn't the author of original scripts on the
site, but I wanted to react when these scripts changed something on the
page.

If I'm the author of the website, I don't need mutation events — I can add
functionality directly among the code that does the updating in the first
place.