Hi,

Validating HTML against a DOCTYPE is a non-trivial task, and it should
be (IMHO) an authoring-time task (using tools like the W3C
Validator[1]) rather than a runtime task, where Prototype is mostly
focussed on the latter. So I don't see adding this to Prototype. (This
is just my opinion; I'm not a core dev, I don't make decisions for the
project).

If you're receiving HTML from an external source at runtime, I can see
the desire to validate it. For that kind of thing, you may want to
integrate with one of the validation services out there (there's a
short list here[2]) and/or look into mod_validator[3] for Apache.

[1] http://validator.w3.org/
[2] http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#others
[3] http://apache.webthing.com/mod_validator/

HTH,