Hello,

I'm new to Prototype development, and love the power it gives.

What I don't get is why the Drop Down change event fires only once,
for a dynamically created Select Drop Down, in my example below (using
1.5 of Prototype).

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated by a ruby /
prototype newbee :)

Example:

Index.rhtml

var categories = null;

function buildDynamicDropDown()
{

var url = 'dynaDropDown'; // returns <select id="categoryval"
name="categoryval"><option>...
new Ajax.Request(url,{
                method: 'get',
                onSuccess: function(transport){
                        categories = transport.responseText;
                        $('categoryval').replace(categories);

function init()
{
   Event.observe('categoryval', 'change', alert('you changed the
category drop down'));
}

<head>
<form ...>
<select id="categoryval" name="categoryval">
                                        <option value="1">Art</option>
                                        <option value="6">Beauty</option>
</select>

Thanks,