On Sep 19, 4:25 am, Hilberty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hello everybody, this is my first post. I am a french developper and I
> have this error on IE 6 and IE 7 only. It works fine on Firefox.
>
> When calling $$ for searching applet objects in this function :
> function repaintGraphs()
> {
>     $$('applet[code="DynGraph.class"]').each(function(gg)
>     {
>        // some code here
>     });
>
> }
>
> a java.lang.NosuchFieldException: _extendedByPrototype occurs in the
> function Element.extend from prototype.js :
>
> Element.extend = (function() {
>   if (Prototype.BrowserFeatures.SpecificElementExtensions)
>     return Prototype.K;
>
>   var Methods = { }, ByTag = Element.Methods.ByTag;
>
>   var extend = Object.extend(function(element) {
>     if (!element || element._extendedByPrototype ||             <---- ERROR
> OCCURS HERE
>         element.nodeType != 1 || element == window) return element;
>
> The error occurs only if at least an applet of class DynGraph.class is
> found in the page.
>
> Any idea or workaround will be appreciated.

The problem, most likely, is that `applet` elements can not be
"extended" in IE.

IE is actually quite famous for its notorious (yet spec-conformant)
host objects' behavor, when certain objects do not behave the way
native JS objects do.

If the error occurs just by invoking `$$` on the page which has
applets, then it very much looks like an error on prototype side.

Could you please file a bug, we'll definitely look into it.

--
kangax