I resolved the issue that I was having by correcting some loose
markup.  I was using <label> instead of <label for="password">, and IE
hates when you are not explicit.  Still, crashing the browser is an
extreme ramification for a markup error.

Sorry to have posted it here as it is obviously not a Prototype /
Scriptaculous issue

Phillip