> Not sure what version it was introduced in, but the latest of
> Prototype allows you to call stopObserving on just the element(which
> will remove all handlers for that element)

Yes that is what I was expecting it to do, I'm running the latest
version of Prototype 1.6.0.2

> So I would make sure you are using the latest version of Prototype and
> if so then I would make sure that your stopObserving call is actually
> being invoked on the elements you expect it to. This small example
> worked for me...

>   <head>
>     <title>test</title>
>   </head>
>     <input type="button" value="click me">
>
>     <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/
> ajax/libs/prototype/1.6.0.2/prototype.js"></script>
>
>     <script type="text/javascript">
>       var clicked = function() {
>         alert('hi');
>         $$('input').invoke('stopObserving');
>       }
>
>       $$('input')[0].observe('click', clicked);
>     </script>

Not sure how this is any different than what I'm already doing.  I
tried with both an invoke() call as well as doing it manually with
this.okBtn.stopObserving() and neither worked.

> Just curious...how do you know that the OK button will alert if you
> removed the parent with this.lbElm.remove();? Isn't the OK button gone
> at that point?

Yes, you are correct, I had those lines commented out during my
testing.