When a request is made you could use a modal window to block the UI,
therefore disabling the user's ability from clicking another leaf.

modal window being some element that is a direct child of body, and
sits above all other elements on the page in regards to the z-index.
This will inhibit any click events of items below.
Then hide the element when the request is finished.