I was going to inject my own thoughts on this, but I found this thread
instead...

http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-core/browse_thread/thread/140fdf88eed057d/1c466af382e9ba54?lnk=gst&q=toQueryString#

Some good reading, but I'm not sure what ever came out of it. I looked
at Tobie's branch (which I think might be the next release?) and it
totally skips objects that are not Arrays. I think nested hashes would
be useful if you're using a server side language/framework that
understands the format that the client put it in, but since Prototype
should be server agnostic then I think you're going to have to roll
your own.

I primarily use Java, so when I need a complex object sent to the
server I've always just converted it to a JSON string and then parsed
it back out server side.

Darrin