I copied the example,  but had to change the css by adding a height
and overflow attribute,
otherwise I don't get scrollbars.
This is the new css that I changed (last two attributes):

div.autocomplete {
  position:absolute;
  width:250px;
  background-color:white;
  border:1px solid #888;
  margin:0px;
  padding:0px;
  height:100px;
  overflow: scroll;
}

When I click on the scrollbar, the popup closes.
Do you have a working example somewhere?