I think this is something that comes down to how the individual
browsers communicate with JavaScript. It seems as though clicking on
a scrollbar takes focus away from the autocompleter in the browsers
you've tried.

I can't say whether this is solved in JQuery or not, if they use a
different event to cancel the suggestion then maybe so.

What does work for sure is not making the suggestion list scrollable.
But that seems to be off the table for you for design reasons.

Walter