Not to bump unnecessarily, but I've been complaining about this
problem in my blog and have been told repeatedly that this erratic
behavior is typical of all the flaws of Prototype, with jQuery cited
(four times!) as being WAY better and easier to use.  I'd like to
think that the "same script, four results" isn't just bad programming
in Prototype's part  - but currently, with code that as far as I can
see SHOULD work according to the docs, I can't exactly rebut them.

I assume it's something I'm doing wrong, but after two days and no
help me figure out why this is going so awry?

Thanks in advance,
T.F.