Hi,

I think the problem is probably that the script is executing before
the browser has had a chance to add the 'input' to the DOM.  Fixing it
*may* be as easy as changing your script to use Function.defer[1]:

<script>
(function(){
new Ajax.Autocompleter('input', 'suggest', '/suggest')
}).defer();
</script>

That defines an anonymous function, then schedules it for execution
later (just a moment later) via Function.defer.

More in the unofficial wiki:
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:tip-scripting-dynamically-loaded-elements

HTH,