Could anyone help tell me what I'm missing?

I could have sworn Prototype already had something like this (a
function that fires only once and then removes itself), but I couldn't
find it anywhere so I went about writing the code myself.

First I tried to do it by intuition using several variations of:

Event.observe(myNode, 'click', function(e) {
        /** do stuff **/
        Event.stopObserving(this);
});

After reading up a little more about "stopObserving" in the API, I
gave it another stab:

var handler = function(e) {
        /** do stuff **/
        Event.stopObserving(myNode, 'click',
handler.bindAsEventListener(this));
};

Event.observe(myNode, 'click', moveOnce.bindAsEventListener(this));

But the event-handler is still called after the first click.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith