Well I implemented what you said and debugged my code through firebug
and found out that the request is not sent because of the following
error:

Prototype is not defined
dispatchException()Prototype.js (line 1355)
respondToReadyState()Prototype.js (line 1322)
onStateChange()Prototype.js (line 1249)
bind()Prototype.js (line 214)
[Break on this error] (this.options.onException ||
Prototype.emptyFunction)(this, exception);

i did not make any changes to the prototype.js file.  So I have no
idea what the problem is.