I have a collection of divs that I want to be able to grow and restore
on click.  When one div grows, the others should shrink; restoring the
divs should return them to the original size.  I'm using the
script.aculo.us (1.8.1) Scale effect:

Scale up: new Effect.Scale(element, 200,
{scaleMode:'contents',scaleY:false});
Scale back: new Effect.Scale(element, 50,
{scaleMode:'contents',scaleY:false});

In IE, this works as expected; the elements all return their original
size.  But in Firefox (3.0.3 and 3.1 beta) and Safari for Windows, the
elements do not return to their original sizes and eventually become
significantly out of kilter.

You can see a simplified example here:
http://michael-hartford.com/demo/scale.html

Has anyone seen a similar problem?  Any workarounds or suggestions?

Thanks!