I have an <input> element with id 'searchtickets' linked to
Autocompleter so that potential search results are returned as the
user types characters in. Updater is then called to update a <div>
element with id 'dmain' based on that search result. So far I have the
following javascript:

Event.observe(window,'load',function() {
  new
Ajax.Autocompleter('searchtickets','searchticketres','data/searchtickets.php',{minChars:3});
  Event.observe('searchtickets','change',function() {
    new Ajax.Updater('dmain','data/foo.php',{
      parameters:$('searchtickets').serialize()

'data/foo.php' simply prints out the value of the POSTed parameters
(for testing purposes). The HTML, for completeness is:

<input type='text' id='searchtickets' name='t' size='10' />

If I start typing in "M747" into my <input> I correctly get some
matches returned. If I select one, say "M747100", the <input>
correctly updates with this but the value passed to Updater seems to
be "M747" as this is what 'data/foo.php' returns.

Do I need to use defer() here? I did try adding
"$('searchtickets').defer();" just before calling Updater but that
didn't seem to have any effect.

--
James Hoddinott