I think the problem is how tables are rendered, not because of the DIV
itself. They seem to wait until the rest of the page has rendered
before sizing themselves.

You can really see it happen in this example:

sit
amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Suspendisse at felis. Etiam
ullamcorper. Aenean fringilla, eros eu dapibus tristique, erat lacus
vestibulum metus, nec pharetra leo ante et quam. Nunc ac mi molestie
justo placerat laoreet. Morbi eget dolor. Curabitur pretium, mi quis
iaculis molestie, dolor ligula sagittis orci, at sodales quam dolor
<script type="text/javascript">
new Effect.Grow('xx',{delay:1.0,duration:5.0})
</script>