A guy I work with here has resolved the problem with an update to
dragdrop.js

added after line 804 just before:

dropon.insertBefore(element, child);

the following:

if(oldParentNode!='undefined'){
  oldParentNode.style.visibility = 'hidden';
  oldParentNode.style.visibility = 'visible';
}

That has resolved the issue by making the browser re-display the div.