Hi,

It sounds like this is more about script.aculo.us[1] than Prototype,
but the answer's largely the same:  Using a debugger.  There's some
useful links on the unofficial wiki's resources page:
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/resources

FYI, Firebug is less happy with Firefox 3 + Prototype than it was with
Firefox 2 + Prototype, but it does still work, and using a fully-
patched Firefox 3 seems to help quite a lot compared with earlier
versions of 3.0.

[1] http://script.aculo.us

HTH,