Hi,

Sorry!  I see that you said you *are* using 1.6.0.3.

Do you have a doctype on your document?  As far as I know, Prototype
basically doesn't support quirks mode.

Here's my test page where I get the expected results on IE6, FF3,
Safari3, and Opera9 (on Windows), perhaps it will help you diagnose
the problem:

http://pastie.org/306364

If I remove the doctype on that, I get behavior very much like you're
describing.  With the doctype, I get the expected behavior.

HTH,