Hi,

You're looking for the onException callback[1].  If an exception
occurs during script evaluation (or for any other reason during the
processing of the request), onException is called.  You might want to
check ou the "Bulletproof Ajax Requests" How To in the unofficial
wiki[2], although what's there so far is just a start.

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/options
[2] http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:how-to-bulletproof-ajax-requests

HTH,