well, basically there is a periodical updater, it appears to get reset if
the user clicks on one of the links.

the server returns an entire html page when the AJAX call is performed.

there also seems to be a fast fade type of transition.

if this is your first AJAX attempt of this nature i would concentrate on
doing the div changing onclick first then add in the periodical updater that
gets reset to 0 when the user clicks the manual link, then add in the
dynamic content on the backend

this is just how i would perform it.

good luck