Thanks for the tip but the code I posted was as a result of
meticulously removing bits of a far bigger piece of code. The JSON is
supposed to be returned by an Ajax.Request() so I assume it'll be
coming through as a string, hence the code above.

In any case, if I removed the link to the code containing bits of the
other version of Prototype (version 1.5.0!) then the evalJSON() works.

Anyway, I have a solution.
I'm not proud of it.
I've done a search n' replace on "Prototype" in the old code...