So I have this function. It toggles error messages after an AJAX call
for validation. It works fine in prototype 1.5,
but an upgrade to 1.6 has broken it and I have not been able to work
out why.

    onFormSuccess : function(transport)
    {
        var json = transport.responseText.evalJSON(true);
        var errors = $H(json.errors);

        if (errors.size() > 0) {
            this.form.down('.error').show();
            errors.each(function(pair) {
                this.showError(pair.key, pair.value);
            }.bind(this));
        }
        else {
            this.form.submit();

When the JSON received looks like {"errors":[{"anError":
"aMessage"}]}, errors.size() works which means the errors are
displayed as they are supposed to, but when the json received looks
like {"errors":[]}, then errors.size() falls over as errors is an
undefined object.

Basically, what is the correct way to get the size of the returned
JSON data reliably with Prototype 1.6? $H() does not work when errors
is empty. I know the hash was one of the biggest changes moving to
1.6.. I'd appreciate any light someone can shed on this.

I have tried checking if its null, or its length with no success.

Regards,
laf.