but it is defined globally? cuz i open up the js debugger console in
IE8 beta, i type 'Element' and the debugger returns {...} so it is
defined?  And y is only Element not globally defined and not the
Template or Hash object ? I think prototype define them on global
scope?

what i m trying to do is write a function that loops through all
functions of an obj, do some AOP.  But i m excluding Prototype defined
objects because it causes too much recursion; to do that i m manually
saying if obj is instance of Element, Hash and Array do nothing, and
Element is causing problem in IE.

things works in firefox of course....

thanks again for the help