As you've found, setting the display property in a CSS sheet will not
work with the Scripty effects. Try hiding the things you want to hide
after the DOM loads. Set an empty class on all your to-be-hidden bits,
and then do this:

document.observe('dom:loaded',function(){
        $$('.hideme').invoke('hide');
});

This will have everything hanging out there and visible from Google's
POV, but will hide it and prepare for your effect from everyone else
with a pulse and a JavaScript interpreter. Because you are doing it at
the dom:loaded point rather than the window.load point, there will be
no flash of unhidden content.

Walter