I have found the following information and demo to be helpful:

http://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/wikis/slider

but, I am attempting to use a GIF in place of the handle by using
the 'handleImage' tag.

I have the following script in the html

<script>new Control.Slider('e_5_handle', 'e_5_tracker',
{axis:'vertical', handleImage:'thumbImage3', range:$R(0,255),
onChange:function(v) {pushValue(v)}});
</script>

and thumbImage3 defined in css as

.thumbImage3 {
        background: url(thumb.gif);
}

.handle {
        cursor: move;
        width: 21px;
        height: 15px;
        border-bottom: 1px solid #333;
        position: absolute;
}

and thumb.gif is in the root directory of the webserver.  But the
image does not show
up in the handle.

Any examples of the Ajax Slider I can look at that uses the
handleImage?

Any pointers?

Thanks,
David