On the CodeIgniter side, I think you will need to step outside of CI's
routing in order to do this. I know it's possible to mix and match CI
routing and traditional GET requests in the same application -- it's
just a matter of knowing what all you will need to pass to the
application. Try reading through the source in the router and see what
variables it expects. In my own framework (heavily influenced by CI
and Rails) I need to see model=foo&action=bar&id=123, so if you pass
all that as a querystring request to routing.php, you get a page, same
as if you went to mysite.com/foo/bar/123.

On the IPE side, you can modify the name of the fields sent to the
server through the POST request by means of the callback option in the
parameters. Further, you can modify the underlying Ajax call (change
it to GET, maybe?) using the ajaxOptions parameter.

Have a read on the wiki:
<http://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/wikis/ajax-inplaceeditor

Walter