Hi Ian,

Can't help you with Behaviour (never used it), but here are some pages
on the unofficial Prototype & script.aculo.us wiki that may help you
with Event.observe, and in particular using it on dynamically-loaded
content:

http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:tip-hooking-events
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:tip-scripting-dynamically-loaded-elements

HTH,