Hi,

You'll probably need to have that code wrapped in a dom:loaded handler
or something for it to find the elements reliably.

But even doing that, I'm not immediately having any success preventing
Opera's default action.  I tried hooking events on the image itself
(rather than a parent) just in case.

This page may be useful to you (depressing, but useful):
http://unixpapa.com/js/mouse.html

HTH,