Try loading at least Prototype up in the head of your page, and moving
your dom:loaded observer up there right after it. That should get the
effect you're after, where the script fires before the page is
visible. Depending on what else you have going on in the way of
external scripts, you may need to move them up before that point, but
you should be able to do all sorts of things before the page becomes
fully visible.

Walter