In an application I wrote I have a call to up(), as in:

test = elt.up('li');

elt is anything that will be contained within a li element, if this is
true, I create a rollover item for that li element.

At any rate, accoring to Firebug this call propagates through
Prototype via:
_methodized()
up()
findElement()
matchElements()
$$
findChildElements()
findElements()

The problem is the call to findElements() (prototype.js line 2831)

In 1.6.0.2 this function simply uses xpath and:
return document._getElementsByXPath(this.xpath, root);

in 1.6.0.3 however, a switch statement is used because of the new
selectorAPI, which if  selectorsAPI == true, attempts:

Line 2845: results = $A(root.querySelectorAll(e)).map(Element.extend);

The trouble is in Chrome and Safari this happens:

Uncaught Error: SYNTAX_ERR: DOM Exception 12
http://localhost/myapp/app/js/prototype.js
(line 2845)

I did some digging and found this:
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/webkit-unassigned/2007-October/050983.html

Which only relates to the DOM Exception, not to my app. However, I
cannot find anything else on this.

Any ideas?