There are lots and lots of Web sites out there, and many many books on
standards-based design. There is nothing that can't be done, usually
pretty simply. Anyone who works in the standards has run their head up
against a seeming-impossible layout before, so if you're really stuck,
post your broken layout (showing you tried) and a JPEG of what you'd
like it to look like on a more design-oriented list (web-...@lists.apple.com
  is one option) and see what advice you get.

The standards don't actually keep you from expressing yourself, they
are actually there to keep you from shooting yourself in the foot or
another appendage.

Walter