Hi Per,

> This was how I wrote it, but it doesn't work:
> Event.observer(window,'mouseup',alert('hi'));

There are a couple of problems with that code.  First, you're calling
Event.observer (with an 'r' at the end); the method is Event.observe
(no 'r').  The second problem is that you're calling the alert()
method and then passing its result into the Event.observe call.  You
want to pass a reference to a function object to Event.observe
instead.  (You can do this in many ways.  One common way is to wrap
the code in an anonymous function declaration.  For anything of any
size, I recommend named functions instead.)

There are lots of examples of event handlers, with discussion, on the
unofficial Prototype & script.aculo.us wiki:
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com.  Look under "Prototype Tips".

HTH,