Hi David,

JavaScript handles "this" differently from other languages you may be
familiar with.  It's set by the calling code; it's not in any way
intrinsic to the function itself.

Here are a couple of links; the first is a general (and I hope
thorough) explanation of what's happening and how to deal with it; the
second is a "how to" specific to Prototype (on the unofficial
Prototype & script.aculo.us wiki):

http://blog.niftysnippets.org/2008/04/you-must-remember-this.html
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:how-to-hooking-events#BoundExample

HTH,