Hi Ram,

The "new" operator creates a new object.  You're assigning that object
to the variable tax_1, and then passing that into Element#update.
That's why you're getting [object] in your output.

Most times, you don't need to use the object you're creating.  To
manipulate the results of a request, you want to use the various
callbacks (usually onSuccess, onFailure, and onException) provided by
the request.  See the Ajax options[1] for details.

Note also that you've explicitly said "asynchronous: true" in your
request (which isn't actually necessary; that's the default).  So your
request is not happening inline with the code where it's initiated
(e.g., not happening synchronously), it's happening *a*synchronously.

If you have a good thorough read through the various Ajax objects in
the API documentation, you should start to get an idea how this stuff
works.  There are also some examples and discussion on the unofficial
Prototype & script.aculo.us wiki[2].

[1] http://www.prototypejs.org/api/ajax/options
[2] http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com

HTH,