Hi,

I am not sure my approach is the best, but in an almost similar case,
I chosed to clone the xml tree using a custom Node class.
This class only implements the the methods I needed (getAttribute,
setAttribute and getElementsByTagName).

The big (imho) advantage of this approach is that the performance hit
is only present for peoples using IE (of course, you don't clone the
xml document if the user is using a browser which is not IE).

Another advantage is that the code is pretty clean since you only have
to modify the way the XML document is retrieved.
E.g. having something like this:

var docRoot = ie?new CustomNode
(hr.responseXML.lastChild):hr.responseXML.lastChild;

I am aware this solution is far from perfect, but I hope it can help
you to find a new approach.

And if somebody knows a better solution, please do not be affraid to
post it :o)

Eric