i presume the page hasn't already unloaded, because the document is
still visible, Firebug can still break at my designated markers, the
"alert('Wait!')" line still executes AFTER the Ajax call, and only
after i clear the alert does the page actually clear. Being that i'm
setting {asynchronous:false}, i believe that alert won't execute until
the Ajax is complete.

If i place this particular block in "beforeunload", i have no way to
tell the PHP if the user has elected to continue unloading or has
canceled the unload. The PHP in this case cleans up files the user has
uploaded while on this page. Since i can't utilize the "beforeunload"
confirm's return value, the user's files would get cleaned up even if
they cancel the unload.
-joe t.