Yes, I tried that, but as I expected it made no difference - I was
already returning false at the end of foo, and I was returning the
result of foo in the onclick attribute.

That's what's throwing me so completely with this one - I'm doing all
the right things, stopping the event, returning false etc. etc.  So
much so that it works in a local file!  The only other thing I can
think of trying is adding the event in JavaScript rather than via the
onclick attribute.