DAMMIT!
i found the bugger. It was a similar piece of PHP in a different file
that gets called when the page LOADS!
Everything was getting cleaned up before the piece i'm examining could
ever happen.

By the way, Firebug WAS reporting the FirePHP logs. It just happens
that it was displaying them when the next page loaded. Kinda weird,
easy to miss.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your help.
-joe t.