I updated my Rails to the latest about a month ago and along with that
came Prototype 1.6.0.1.  It turns out that I was at 1.6.0.2.  When
that happened, one particular page's performance became really bad.  I
just did a profile using Firebug in Firefox and 87% of the time was
being spent in getElementsByXPath.  It was at that time that I noticed
that the Rails update had put my prototype to an older version.

So, I downloaded the latest which is 1.6.0.3 and the performance is
back like it was.

I thought others might have a similar experience and just want to
mention it.

Thanks guys.