From: "T.J. Crowder" <t...@crowdersoftware.com>
To: "Prototype & script.aculo.us" <prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:26 PM
Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: Stoping observing

Hi Alex,

Apologies if I'm missing the point, but can't you use
document.stopObserving[1]?

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/document/stopObserving

E.g.:
* * * *
function showErrorDiv(msg) {
    var div = new Element('div', {
        'id':    'errDiv',
        'class': 'error'
    });
    div.update(msg);
    document.body.appendChild(div);
    Element.observe.defer(document, 'click', removeErrDiv);
}

function removeErrDiv() {
    var div = $('errDiv');
    if (div) {
        div.remove();
    }
    document.stopObserving('click', removeErrDiv);
}
* * * *

Or if you really need it to be a closure and not use a specific ID:
* * * *
function showErrorDiv(msg) {
    var div = new Element('div', {
        'class': 'error'
    });
    div.update(msg);
    document.body.appendChild(div);
    Element.observe.defer(document, 'click', function(){
        try {
            div.remove();
        } catch (e) {}
        document.stopObserving('click', arguments.callee);
* * * *

The defer is there in my case because I was using a click event to
trigger showErrorDiv, and of course because of bubbling that same
click eventually got given to the document and removed the div right
away -- deferring it lets me not worry about that.  (I could have just
stopped it in my click handler on my test button; either works.)

FWIW,