I assume you have to be right, since nothing else makes sense, but ...

My thinking was based on the many, many examples I've seen in the documentation
of js packages.  For example,

        http://www.prototypejs.org/api/ajax/request
        http://www.prototypejs.org/api/ajax/updater
        http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/ajax-inplaceeditor
        http://www.nickstakenburg.com/projects/prototip2/

And many more.

Nowhere does the documentation mention that these examples are unsafe as
written, since the garbage collector could kick in at any
time & pick these up before they complete their "missions."

In fact, on this page

        http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/ajax-inplaceeditor

There is a complete example towards the bottom of the page
(setupCategoryEditor) that shows this.

What am I missing?

--
Jonathan Rosenberg
Founder & Executive Director, Tabby's Place